[Haskell-cafe] Google Summer of Code 2012 Announced

Heinrich Apfelmus apfelmus at quantentunnel.de
Tue Feb 14 12:10:56 CET 2012

Andrei Varanovich wrote:

> One question to more experienced GSoC'ers. I do understand that this is
> important to find mentors in advance.
> As soon as I think nowadays it is critical for the programming language
> ecosystem to handle BigData [1], have a proposal to implement HDFS [1]
> support for CloudHaskell [2] with some MapReduce abstractions.
>
> What would be the "right" way to communicate with potential mentors? I
> looked at http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/summer-of-code/ and it seems
> there is not so much going on there. Or, perhaps, this mailing list is just
> OK?

I think that Johan Tibell's advice applies to students as well: if you
have a project idea, then

1. Write a proposal that will make people cheer and swoon. In
particular, it should be useful to a lot of people from the Haskell
community and you should demonstrate why you're capable of completing
it, for instance by finding a very good scope for the project or maybe
because your first name rhymes with Simon.

2. Advertise it on the mailing list and/or reddit and/or Google+, so
that people can read it and give feedback. Incorporating said feedback
is a good idea.

3. If the proposal piques everyone's interest, I'm sure that someone
will volunteer to be a mentor.

Best regards,
Heinrich Apfelmus

--