[Haskell-cafe] Fancy REPL

Heinrich Apfelmus apfelmus at quantentunnel.de
Fri Feb 10 10:08:27 CET 2012

serialhex wrote:
> Heinrich Apfelmus wrote:
>
>> I'm not so sure about the "soon" part, but yes, using FRP to make music is
>> part of the plan.
>
> you know, i've been thinking about this recently, and while i need more
> haskell skillz if i want to do some sound synthesis, i think it would be
> really spiffy to work on something like that!  are you working on this
> privately or do you have a public repo one can clone?  a fully-haskell
> sound synth program would be really spiffy!!  (esp if one could code new
> synths in real-time in haskell....)

Folks have been doing sound synthesis in Haskell for a long time; in
particular, I'm currently building on Rohan Drape's bindings to
SuperCollider

   http://slavepianos.org/rd/ut/hsc3-texts/hsc3-tutorial.html

There's also Henning Thielemann who managed to do real-time audio
editing in Haskell by performing run-time compilation with LLVM

   http://hackage.haskell.org/package/synthesizer

Still, I think there's a need (I certainly have it) for a simple-to-use
package that makes it really easy to play with sound synthesis in
Haskell, i.e. that supports instant gratification. I'm currently working
on a project called 'tomato-rubato' that aims to do precisely that. I'll
put up a github repo once I have something that is glued together by
duct tape rather than spit.

Best regards,
Heinrich Apfelmus

--