[Haskell-cafe] The State of Testing?

Thomas Tuegel ttuegel at gmail.com
Thu Feb 9 18:57:41 CET 2012

On Wed, Feb 8, 2012 at 4:42 AM, Christoph Breitkopf
<chbreitkopf at googlemail.com> wrote:
> Hello Thomas,
>
> On Wed, Feb 8, 2012 at 4:03 AM, Thomas Tuegel <ttuegel at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> First, as author of the test suite code, let me apologize for the
>> terrible documentation.
>>
>> This is absolutely NOT how coverage reports are supposed to work. If
>> you configure with '--enable-tests --enable-library-coverage', Cabal
>> will take care of _everything_ else for you, including excluding the
>> test module from the coverage report. You should not have to put any
>> flag gymnastics in your .cabal file.
>

> I get only "cabal: unrecognized option `--enable-library-coverage'" when
> doing that. Which cabal version do I need?
> Can you point me to any docs about this? I'm still using test type
> exitcode-stdio-1.0, because I could not get detailed-1.0 to work.

You need Cabal 1.12 for '--enable-library-coverage'. The only place
it's documented is in 'cabal configure --help' (a major oversight on
my part). The online docs for Cabal are only from version 1.10 anyway,
so that wouldn't have helped.

I'm sorry for your struggles getting the detailed type to work. It's a
known issue: the detailed test interface is intentionally disabled in
all the released versions because it's going to change. That's why
none of the test libraries support it yet and why you weren't able to
get it to work.

--
Thomas Tuegel