[Haskell-cafe] Navigating 'Strategic' programming babel

Ravi Sahni ganeshsahni07 at gmail.com
Mon Dec 17 11:30:21 CET 2012

Clearly Haskell has great possibilities in the field of
language-processing.  And the nuisances associated with little actual
computation buried under much data-structure navigation are well addressed
by 'strategic-programming' systems.

But now comes the rub -- there seem to be a lot of very similar systems.

Any guidance on which/what/how to choose?

My own current sketchy-patchy knowledge is as below. I would appreciate
links/pointers to more substansive literature.

First there was Meertens and his folks working on generic haskell
Did that later become template haskell?

That branched out into strafunski, stratego/xt.

SYB is ___ not sure here: some literature suggests that its identical to
strafunski.  Some suggests that it is strafunski done more within the
haskell language rather than in libraries.

Then there's uniplate. How does it compare to SYB?  Or is that a confused
comparison?