[Haskell-cafe] containers license issue

Mike Meyer mwm at mired.org
Wed Dec 12 18:23:52 CET 2012

Niklas Larsson <metaniklas at gmail.com> wrote:
>2012/12/12 Niklas Larsson <metaniklas at gmail.com>:
>>
>> There is no copied code from FXT (which can be said with certainty as
>> FXT is a C library), hence the there can be copyright issue.
>Gah, I should proofread! NO copyright issue, of course.

Um, no. Copyright *includes* translations. A translated copy of a work is based on the original and requires copyright permissions. This makes it a modified work according to the definitions in the GPL.

You're all thinking about this as if logic and the law had something in common. The relevant question isn't  whether or not the GPL applies, but whether or not a case can be made that the GPL should apply. Clearly, that case can be made, so if you include the containers code without treating it as GPL'ed, you risk winding up in court. I suspect that's what the lawyer is really trying to avoid, as it would mean they'd actually have to work.
--
Sent from my Android tablet with K-9 Mail. Please excuse my swyping.