[Haskell-cafe] ANNOUNCE: tie-knot library

Mike Meyer mwm at mired.org
Wed Dec 12 05:07:54 CET 2012

David Thomas <davidleothomas at gmail.com> wrote:
>... and OS X and iOS are clearly a win for the FLOSS community?

Yes. The parts of it that are willing to use BSD-licensed software, anyway. Apple does release sources to some of their toys. They released all of OS X below the GUI level, for instance. Grand Central Dispatch should be checked out by anyone doing concurrent programming, but you may have to apply the language patches Apple released, or upgrade you language to their version. Etc.

Smart developers will give back only things they don't consider critical to their business, even if they have to morph their architecture to comply with the license. Look at Tivo - they use Linux, but last time I looked their FLOSS releases were far less interesting than what we got from Apple.
--
Sent from my Android tablet with K-9 Mail. Please excuse my swyping.