[Haskell-cafe] ANNOUNCE: tie-knot library

Brandon Allbery allbery.b at gmail.com
Wed Dec 12 02:35:18 CET 2012

On Tue, Dec 11, 2012 at 8:26 PM, Ramana Kumar <Ramana.Kumar at cl.cam.ac.uk>wrote:

> Using the GPL (or a strong copyleft free license) strengthens the free
> software community of which I thought the Haskell community is a part (or
> at least intersects substantially).

Haskell libraries are mostly BSD licensed, as is GHC itself.  (Oddly
enough, GPL is not the only open source license.)

Since most Haskell stuff is BSD licensed, GPL can cause license conflicts
that do not exist with most other Haskell libraries.  This is why GPL is
not recommended for new Haskell libraries.