[Haskell-cafe] Is anyone working on a sparse matrix library in Haskell?

Adrien Haxaire adrien at haxaire.org
Sun Dec 2 00:00:32 CET 2012

Hello,

I started a FEM library, funfem [1], but I stopped it for the moment; Haskell
is my hobby and I work on FEM all day long, I prefer to focus on orthogonal
problems for home projects. It is a very naive implementation. Far from a
version 0.0.1 too, i.e. unusable at the moment.

I did not test the performance as it was not my main goal, so the following
may not be completely relevant to your purpose.

I define a type Tensor [2], which is a sparse matrix based on Data.Map. Not
sure how efficient it is, I chose to start simple. The resulting conjugate
gradient [3] is very clear.

Please let us know how it goes, it's good to see more traction towards Haskell
from our field, and I'll be glad to use your library !

Best regards,
Adrien

[1] http://www.funfem.org

[2]
https://github.com/adrienhaxaire/funfem/blob/master/Numeric/Funfem/Algebra/Tensor.hs

[3]
https://github.com/adrienhaxaire/funfem/blob/master/Numeric/Funfem/Algebra/Solver/CG.hs

On Thursday 29 November 2012 14:03:04 Mark Flamer wrote:
> I am looking to continue to learn Haskell while working on something that
> might eventually be useful to others and get posted on Hackage. I have
> written quite a bit of Haskell code now, some useful and a lot just throw
> away for learning. In the past others have expressed interest in having a
> native Haskell sparse matrix and linear algebra library available(not just
> bindings to a C lib). This in combination with FEM is one of my interests.
> So my questions, is anyone currently working on a project like this? Does it
> seem like a good project/addition to the community? I'm also interested if
> anyone has any other project idea's, maybe even to collaborate on. Thanks
>

> --
Adrien Haxaire
www.adrienhaxaire.org | @adrienhaxaire