[Haskell-cafe] Build regressions due to GHC 7.6

Michael Sloan mgsloan at gmail.com
Thu Aug 30 21:16:39 CEST 2012

A good way to specify such refactorings is as a Haskell module.  For example:

module PreludePre_7_6 where

import Prelude hiding ( catch )

Or, an example of avoiding the Eq / Show / Num debacle:

module PreludePre_7_4 (module Prelude, Num) where

import Prelude hiding ( Num )
import qualified Prelude as P

instance template (Eq a, Show a) => Num a where
  instance P.Num a

(Uses my instance template proposal - though with different keywords -
https://github.com/mgsloan/instance-templates )

Let's say we wanted to rename "catch" to "unsafeCatch"

module PreludePreUnsafeCatch (module Prelude, catch) where

import Prelude hiding (unsafeCatch)

catch = unsafeCatch

Then, an automated refactoring system is "simply" a sourcecode-based
module inliner.  Quite a bit of effort, certainly, but it's much
better than coming up with a whole new notation for refactorings.

-Michael