[Haskell-cafe] Platform Versioning Policy: upper bounds are not our friends

Daniel Trstenjak daniel.trstenjak at gmail.com
Thu Aug 16 09:56:28 CEST 2012

On Wed, Aug 15, 2012 at 03:54:04PM -0700, Michael Sloan wrote:
> Upper bounds are a bit of a catch-22 when it comes to library authors evolving
> their APIs:
>
> 1) If library clients aren't encouraged to specify which version of the
>    exported API they target, then changing APIs can lead to opaque compile
>    errors (without any information about which API is intended).  This could
>    lead the client to need to search for the appropriate version of the
>    library.

Having the version number A.B.*, than most packages seem to mostly
increase B or lower parts of the version number.

If an upper bound is missing, than cabal could use any package in the range A.*.* .

If an author wants to make breaking changes to his API, than he could
indicate this by increasing A.

I've nothing against your proposal, I just don't think that it will be
done that soon.

Greetings,
Daniel