[Haskell-cafe] Platform Versioning Policy: upper bounds are not our friends

Brandon Allbery allbery.b at gmail.com
Wed Aug 15 23:44:46 CEST 2012

On Wed, Aug 15, 2012 at 4:44 PM, Johan Tibell <johan.tibell at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 15, 2012 at 1:02 PM, Brandon Allbery <allbery.b at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > So we are certain that the rounds of failures that led to their being
> > *added* will never happen again?
> It would be useful to have some examples of these. I'm not sure we had

Upper package versions did not originally exist, and nobody wanted them.
 You can see the result in at least half the packages on Hackage:  upper
versions came in when base got broken up, and when bytestring was merged
into base --- both of which caused massive breakage that apparently even
the people around at the time and involved with it no longer remember.

I'm not going to argue the point though; ignore history and remove them if
you desire.