[Haskell-cafe] Debian 6.0.5: 'cabal install curl' problem

dokondr dokondr at gmail.com
Tue Aug 14 16:23:31 CEST 2012

Please help to solve a problem installing curl package (
http://hackage.haskell.org/package/curl/) on Debian 6.0.5.
I am running the most recent Debian Haskell platform with GHC 6.12.1.
I did:
-> cabal update
-> cabal install cabal-install

It is interesting that in case you do again 'cabal update" you again get a
suggestion from cabal to upgrade cabal-install, and this process never ends:
"""
-> cabal update
Downloading the latest package list from hackage.haskell.org
Note: there is a new version of cabal-install available.
To upgrade, run: cabal install cabal-install
"""
Anyway, then I did:
-> apt-get install curl
-> cabal install curl
Cabal fails to install 'curl' because it can not find curl library. Please
see detailed cabal output at the end of this message.
So my questions:
1) What is missing to install curl package?
2) Should I upgrade Debian GHC 6.12.1 to the latest GHC 7.4.2? Maybe this
should solve the problem with 'cabal install'?

Thanks!
---------- cabal install output ----------
-> cabal install curl
Resolving dependencies...
Configuring curl-1.3.7...
checking for gcc... gcc
checking for suffix of executables...
checking whether gcc accepts -g... yes
configure: error: curl libraries not found, so curl package cannot be built
See `config.log' for more details.
curl-1.3.7 failed during the configure step. The exception was:
ExitFailure 1