[Haskell-cafe] hGetContents Illegal byte sequence / ghc-pkg

David McBride toad3k at gmail.com
Sat Aug 11 16:26:58 CEST 2012

I had this same problem a couple weeks ago when trying to install
virthualenv and I don't really understand it got into a bad state, but the
way I solved it was by fixing the locale settings on my gentoo machine so
that I'm using UTF8.  That just involved a few changes in /etc and then the
problem went away.