[Haskell-cafe] hGetContents Illegal byte sequence / ghc-pkg

Brandon Allbery allbery.b at gmail.com
Sat Aug 11 16:21:02 CEST 2012

On Sat, Aug 11, 2012 at 7:13 AM, Benjamin Edwards <edwards.benj at gmail.com>wrote:

> inspecting the source of readProcessWithExitCode yields an obvious
> explanation to the MVar problem, but I don't understand why hGetContents is
> so offended.

I think last time I looked into this there was no normalization of
package.conf data; if it was read in in a particular encoding, it was
stored in that encoding and you can get an exception trying to dump it in a
different encoding.  Certainly I have found ISO8859-1 encoded text in my
package.conf.d/* files, when I would expect (and was configured for) UTF-8.
 This also suggests that ISO8859-1 text in a *.cabal file would remain
ISO8859-1 in the resulting package.conf file even if UTF-8 encoding was
active at the time.