[Haskell-cafe] [Haskell] Spam on the Haskell wiki

damodar kulkarni kdamodar2000 at gmail.com
Sat Aug 4 04:34:09 CEST 2012

Hi Gwern,
First of all, thanks for your patience.

I am willing to do administrator tasks.

>  4. ReCAPTCHA enabled for 'edits adding new, unrecognized external
>> links' - which is all of the spam.
>>

> This is already enabled.

I guess the problem may be due to
"ReCAPTCHA<http://www.google.com/recaptcha/learnmore>";
so you can choose to use a custom built CAPTCHA that is more difficult to
crack.
You may find some open source captcha systems better than the "ReCAPTCHA".
http://jcaptcha.sourceforge.net/

To forge the relay attacks on CAPTCHA, you may try early timeouts and/or
increasing length of CAPTCHA text.
This potentially may mean more trouble and nuisance to legit users, but I
guess, the Haskellers will be willing to pay this "small" price for a
better web-site experience for them. :)

Relay attacks: Remember that there are human solvers employed in countries
like India, China, so any human solvable captcha will fail to work as
desired.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CAPTCHA#Human_solvers

The problem is not detecting spam, since that's
> quite trivial: it's very hard to miss.

Thanks for providing more info.

So, another doubt, if detecting spam is trivial, then why not just send the
detected spam to trash directly without any human inspection?
This may mean some trouble for the posters due to "false positives"; but
the moderator's job can be reduced to some extent.

I hope, this is useful. If not, please forgive me for causing more reading
trouble for you.

Regards,
-Damodar