[Haskell-cafe] Correspondence between libraries and modules

Gregg Lebovitz glebovitz at gmail.com
Wed Apr 25 18:30:46 CEST 2012

On 4/24/2012 11:49 PM, wren ng thornton wrote:
> On 4/24/12 9:59 AM, Gregg Lebovitz wrote:
>> The question of how to support rapid innovation and stable
>> deployment is not an us versus them problem. It is one of staging
>> releases. The
>> Linux kernel is a really good example. The Linux development team
>> innovates
>> faster than the community can absorb it. The same was true of the GNU
>> team.
>> Distributions addressed the gap by staging releases.
>
> In that case, what you are interested in is not Hackage (the too-fast
> torrent of development) but rather the Haskell Platform (a policed set
> of stable/core libraries with staged releases).

No, that was not what I was thinking because a stable policed set of
core libraries is at the opposite end of the spectrum from how you
describe Hackage. What I am suggesting is a way of creating an upstream
that feeds increasingly stable code into an ever increasing set of
stable and useful components. Using the current open system model, the
core compiler team for gcc releases the compiler and a set of libstdc
and libstdc++ libraries. The GNU folks release more useful libraries,
and then projects like GNOME build on the other components. Right now we
have Hackage that moves to fast and the Haskell core that rightfully
moves more slowly.

Maybe the answer is to add a rating system to Hackage and mark packages
as experimental, unsupported, and supported, or use a 5 star rating
system like the app store. Later on when we have appropriate testing
tools, we can include a rating from the automated tests.