[Haskell-cafe] building ghc on arch linux ARM?

Joey Hess joey at kitenet.net
Tue Apr 10 19:03:23 CEST 2012

Joachim Breitner wrote:
> Most of these architectures do not have a native code generator (so they
> are compiled via C) and are unregisterized, i.e. GHC knows nothing about
> their registers. Both cause a performance penalty; I don’t know numbers.
> I assume this is what Joey refers to. But maybe also that ARM machines
> tend to be slower :-)

Both of course. The rare times I need to build a fairly big haskell
program like git-annex on arm, it can easily take an hour or so with -O0.

BTW, the other problem with Haskell on arm is that AFAIK there is no
ghci, and so also no Template Haskell, and so if you're writing Real
World utilities that you want to be maximally portable, this means you
have to avoid using an increasing number of libraries. This rules Yesod
right out; I've avoided using lenses as I'd have to write much manual
boilerplate, etc.

--
see shy jo