[Haskell-cafe] haskell i18n best practices

Rogan Creswick creswick at gmail.com
Fri Sep 30 22:44:16 CEST 2011

On Thu, Sep 29, 2011 at 3:54 PM, Paulo Pocinho <pocinho at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello list.
>
> I've been trying to figure a nice method to provide localisation. An

The grammatical framework excels at translation and localization -- it
probably has the highest learning curve of the options; but it will
generate the best / most accurate text depending on the target
language:

 * http://www.grammaticalframework.org

At first brush, it may seem like extreme overkill; but it is able to
handle many, many infuriating corner cases (eg: properly forming
discontinuous constituents, updating case / tense and number to agree
with potentially variable quantities and genders, addressing the
absence of "yes" and "no" in some languages, etc...)

The language processing bits are expressed in a PMCFG grammar, which
uses a syntax similar to haskell.  The PMCFG compiles to a PGF file
that can be loaded and used by a haskell module that implements the
runtime, so it doesn't change your run-time requirements (if you
already rely on haskell, there are also runtime implementations in
javascript, java, c and python).

--Rogan