[Haskell-cafe] Cabal rebuilding all of the C++ code for wxHaskell

DukeDave dukedave at gmail.com
Fri Sep 30 03:45:24 CEST 2011

On Friday, 30 September 2011 01:42:00 UTC+1, Antoine Latter wrote:
> Why do you want to change the behavior of the 'clean' hook? Most users
> would expect it to clear out everything that 'configure', 'build' and
> such have done.
> I would be cautious about subverting user expectations like that.
I'm only inquiring about changing the clean hook for this specific project,
not cabal in general.

And the reason I'm looking to change it is that building the C++ component
takes a long time (over five minutes on my fairly average laptop), so
cleaning everything every time is an extremely annoying inconvenience.

My main questions are:
1. Is there some reason (other than 'safety') that "cabal install" cleans
everything up?
2. Why does setting cleanHook to return () not have any effect?