[Haskell-cafe] Package descriptions on hackage

Herbert Valerio Riedel hvr at gnu.org
Sun Sep 11 14:43:27 CEST 2011

On Sun, 2011-09-11 at 11:37 +0100, Neil Mitchell wrote:
> There are several problems here:
[..]
> Why not email the maintainers of packages you think need a better
> description - ideally giving suggestions? I'd welcome that for any of
> my packages.

Maybe something similiar to http://kernelnewbies.org/KernelJanitors
could be done, e.g. "HackageJanitors".

Those HackageJanitors could also help making new GHC releases smoother
by providing efficiently the usual minor fixes to hackage libraries
breaking by new GHC releases (updating library version constraints,
fixes related to GHC becoming less tolerant, adapting to Cabal changes).

Maybe they could also be given the privilege to upload trivial fixes to
hackage directly (possibly with a version indicating such a
maintainer-override upload) if the library maintainer takes too long to
respond or has generally opt-ed in for to such a "auto"-maintaince
service (maybe by a new flag in .cabal files).

cheers,
hvr