[Haskell-cafe] Amazon AWS storage best to use with Haskell?

dokondr dokondr at gmail.com
Mon Oct 31 17:42:59 CET 2011

On Mon, Oct 31, 2011 at 6:50 PM, John Lenz <lenz at math.uic.edu> wrote:

> 4) My code processes hundreds of messages. Every message is processed in
>
>> exactly the same way as the others. So the code can be easily
>> parallelized. Any Haskell frameworks that will allow me to run this code
>> in a simple concurrency model?
>>

> Yes, there are many options.
>
> http://www.haskell.org/**haskellwiki/GHC/Concurrency<http://www.haskell.org/haskellwiki/GHC/Concurrency>

John, thanks for detailed reply!
I am looking at Haskell Concurrency wiki, but can not figure out which
framework - STM, sparks, threads, etc. Amazon AWS will be able to scale?
As far as I know, to scale CPU and program memory in Amazon, all you can
ask from AWS is to start some number of additional extra VMs. Every VM
contains a complete image of your OS and executables, all images are
exactly the same.
That's fine with me as currently all my workflow tasks are performed by
separately compiled Haskell executables communicating via regular files.
So to reformulate my question:
- Does any Haskell  framework exist that allow to orchestrate separate
processes  (NOT threads that share the same process memory)?
On the other hand, in case there is a way to make Amazon AWS  to scale
Haskell STM, sparks, threads, etc. - I would happily rewrite my Haskell
code to use these frameworks.  So my second question:
- Is there a way to make Amazon AWS  to scale Haskell STM, sparks, threads
or any other Haskell concurrency frameworks?