[Haskell-cafe] ANN: diagrams 0.4

Brent Yorgey byorgey at seas.upenn.edu
Tue Oct 25 18:29:59 CEST 2011

On Mon, Oct 24, 2011 at 01:58:33PM -0700, Jason Dagit wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 23, 2011 at 11:47 AM, Brent Yorgey <byorgey at seas.upenn.edu> wrote:
> > I am pleased to announce the release of version 0.4 of diagrams, a
> > full-featured framework and embedded domain-specific language for
> > declarative drawing.
>
> What do you use for text support?  I know at one point you were
> interested in my freetype2 binding (which is still very raw and
> immature), but you must be using gtk for font loading and rendering?

At the moment, text is completely delegated to backends.  diagrams
itself doesn't do any font loading or rendering at all.  However, the
obvious downside to this is that the framework itself has no idea how
big a given piece of text is and can't position it relative to other
things.  On the todo list is to use your freetype2 binding (or
something like it) to actually do more work within the framework
itself, so it can position text correctly, convert text outlines into
paths, and so on.

-Brent