[Haskell-cafe] haskell-janitors (was Re: New rss maintainer)
conrad at metadecks.org
Mon Oct 24 01:56:38 CEST 2011
On 22 October 2011 22:52, Bas van Dijk <v.dijk.bas at gmail.com> wrote:
> I released a new rss:
> It no longer requires old-time and is tested with the latest versions
> of its dependencies.
> On 21 October 2011 17:34, Vincent Hanquez <tab at snarc.org> wrote:
>> Perhaps, unless someone step up, it would be nice to move packages that have
>> no maintainer anymore into a github organisation (haskell-janitors ?),
> Nice idea! However I think we should always strive for having a single
> or a limited number of maintainers. Finally when nobody wants to take
> over a package we can hand it over to haskell-janitors.
I like the janitors idea because it is practical, and I also like the
ideal world where every package has an active maintainer.
How about we set up the haskell-janitors github group as Vincent
suggests, with some basic rules like:
* when you upload a package you put your name and email address in the
maintainer field, with a comment saying that you are maintaining this
package through the haskell-janitors group
* anyone in the haskell-janitors group can upload a new version of a
package which is maintained through the haskell-janitors group. When
you do so you set (or prepend?) your name as maintainer.
* if anyone anywhere ever gets keen to take exclusive maintenance of a
project, to redesign it or whatever, they're welcome to take it out of
Goals would be:
* timely uploads (anyone can upload)
* accountability (you put your name on it)
* packages still have someone who can accept patches, answer questions
etc. (you put your name on it)
More information about the Haskell-Cafe