[Haskell-cafe] ANN: diagrams 0.4

Ivan Lazar Miljenovic ivan.miljenovic at gmail.com
Tue Oct 25 07:10:42 CEST 2011

On 25 October 2011 16:02, Rustom Mody <rustompmody at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 24, 2011 at 10:16 AM, Ivan Lazar Miljenovic
> <ivan.miljenovic at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 24 October 2011 13:51, Rustom Mody <rustompmody at gmail.com> wrote:
>> > How does diagrams compare with graphviz?  If this is an inappropriate
>> > (type-wrong?) question thats ok :-)  Its just that when I last looked at
>> > graphviz I found the documentation somewhat impenetrable -- like much
>> > else
>> > in Hackage -- lots of types, no examples.
>> How is it now, better?  If not, what kind of more documentation would you
>> like?
> Without claiming to have looked very hard, I looked up grahhviz in hayoo,
> gathered I should be looking at Data.GraphViz and tried clicking everything
> that looked reasonable here
> but still cant find an example of a graph :-) ie a graphviz graph in
> haskell.

Well, there are indeed examples in there, but not in Data.GraphViz:
that module is aimed more at "how can I convert my existing data into
a Dot representation", not constructing one by hand.  As of the latest
version (2999.12.*), there are indeed examples for anyone that wants

* Sample graph in Dot representation used as a base case:
* Using the canonical representation:
* Using the graph representation:
* Using the Monadic representation (based upon the dotgen package):

The Data.GraphViz.Types module also has a short description of how to
choose which representation.

However, I'll add a note in Data.GraphViz telling people to look in
Data.GraphViz.Types if they want to construct a Dot graph by hand.

> Is this a complaint against graphviz or against hackage/cabal etc?? Dunno.

I'd say it's more a case of: to the maintainer, it's _obvious_ how to
do stuff since they're intimately familiar with the details; as such,
if something isn't clear let them know that you're confused by
something (which at least in my case jogs me to go and add extra
clarification on such matters)!

Ivan Lazar Miljenovic
Ivan.Miljenovic at gmail.com