[Haskell-cafe] Trying to install hpodder on OS X Lion

seanh snhmnd at gmail.com
Fri Oct 21 16:32:05 CEST 2011

I'd really like to get hpodder installed on OS X Lion, I can't find it
packaged anywhere (macports, homebrew...) Has anyone got it working?

I have the haskell platform installed from the pkg file from haskell.org:

http://hackage.haskell.org/platform/mac.html

So I tried `cabal install hpodder` but it failed. First I get a lot of
warnings like:

ld: warning: text reloc in _cZh_str to _stg_ap_pppppp_fast
ld: warning: text reloc in _cZh_str to _stg_ap_ppppp_fast
ld: warning: text reloc in _cZh_str to _stg_ap_pppp_fast
ld: warning: text reloc in _cZh_str to _stg_ap_pppv_fast
ld: warning: text reloc in _cZh_str to _stg_ap_ppp_fast
ld: warning: text reloc in _cZh_str to _stg_ap_ppv_fast
ld: warning: text reloc in _cZh_str to _stg_ap_pp_fast
ld: warning: text reloc in _cZh_str to _stg_ap_pv_fast
ld: warning: text reloc in _cZh_str to _stg_ap_p_fast
ld: warning: text reloc in _cZh_str to _stg_ap_n_fast
ld: warning: text reloc in _cZh_str to _stg_ap_l_fast
ld: warning: text reloc in _cZh_str to _stg_ap_d_fast
ld: warning: text reloc in _cZh_str to _stg_ap_f_fast
ld: warning: text reloc in _cZh_str to _stg_ap_v_fast
ld: warning: text reloc in _cZh_str to _stg_ap_pppppp_info

I get each of those warnings many times in a row. There are some other
warning when compiling things as well. Then I eventually get:

hpodder-1.1.5 failed during the building phase. The exception was:
ExitFailure 1

Here's the error from the compiler before that:

Commands/SetStatus.hs:59:33:
    Ambiguous type variable `e0' in the constraint:
      (E.Exception e0) arising from a use of `E.catch'
    Probable fix: add a type signature that fixes these type variable(s)
    In the expression:
      E.catch
        (E.evaluate (read x))
        (\ _
           -> fail
            $   "Invalid status supplied; use one of: " ++ possibleStatuses)
    In a case alternative:
        Just x
          -> E.catch
               (E.evaluate (read x))
               (\ _
                  -> fail
                   $   "Invalid status supplied; use one of: " ++
possibleStatuses)
    In a stmt of a 'do' expression:
        newstatus <- case lookup "status" args of {
                       Just x
                         -> E.catch
                              (E.evaluate (read x))
                              (\ _