[Haskell-cafe] Message

Matti Oinas matti.oinas at gmail.com
Fri Oct 21 10:00:34 CEST 2011

I don't think I'm going to write next twitter or facebook but yes, it
is on my TODO list. If such an applications can be written with
languages like PHP then why not. Can't think of any language that is
worse than PHP but still there are lots of web applications written
with that. Even I have written many using PHP.

Why I would use Haskell? To see if it is better option to that problem
than other languages.

I have allready installed Yesod but for now I don't have enough time
to work on this project. After 6 months the situation should be
different.

2011/10/21 Michael Snoyman <michael at snoyman.com>:
> This is clearly a job for node.js and the /dev/null data store, since
> they are so web scale~
>
> Less sarcasm: I think any of the main Haskell web frameworks (Yesod,
> Happstack, Snap) could scale better than Ruby or PHP, and would use
> any of those in a heartbeat for such a venture. I'd personally use
> Yesod.
>
> I think data store would be a trickier issue. I'd likely use one of
> the key/value stores out there, possibly Redis, though I'd really need
> to do more research to give a real answer.
>
> Michael
>
> On Fri, Oct 21, 2011 at 9:42 AM, Yves Parès <limestrael at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Wow, controversial point I guess...
>> I would add: and if yes, what would you use and why?
>>
>> 2011/10/21 Goutam Tmv <vo1d_pointer at live.com>
>>>
>>> Would you ever see yourself write a web application like Twitter or
>>> Facebook in Haskell?

try {
   log.trace("Id=" + request.getUser().getId() + " accesses " +
manager.getPage().getUrl().toString())
} catch(NullPointerException e) {}

This is a real code, but please make the world a bit better place and
don’t do it, ever.

* http://www.javacodegeeks.com/2011/01/10-tips-proper-application-logging.html *