[Haskell-cafe] Haskell vs. Dart

Heinrich Apfelmus apfelmus at quantentunnel.de
Tue Oct 11 13:10:43 CEST 2011

Kevin Jardine wrote:
> After Google's disappointing Dart announcement yesterday, I decided to tweak
> them a bit and mention Haskell and functional programming languages as an
> alternative:
>
> https://plus.google.com/u/0/111705054912446689620/posts/UcyLBH7RLXs
>
> Comments on the post are welcome!

I didn't look very carefully, but from a Haskeller's point of view, I
can't see any significant difference between Dart and JavaScript, except
perhaps for the name. By comparison, CoffeeScript is a way more
innovative venture.

A far more useful thing for Google to do would be a standardized
bytecode language for the browser; something that can be JITted
efficiently while guaranteeing safety/security. This way, the
compilation chain

     Haskell -> bytecode -> browser

would finally be viable.

Best regards,