[Haskell-cafe] ANN: OpenCL 1.0.1.3 package

Jason Dagit dagitj at gmail.com
Tue Oct 4 19:46:46 CEST 2011

On Tue, Oct 4, 2011 at 12:54 AM, Luis Cabellos <cabellos at ifca.unican.es> wrote:

> I understand your point. I didn't know the problems with cross module
> inlining that Haskell suffers. I learned the BSD3, I think is a good  and
> I'll change it on github and I'll put in the next release.

Oh cool.  Thanks!  I think that's for the best.  Someone sent me a
link to this offline:
https://github.com/judah/HsOpenCL

Maybe the two implementations can be merged into one super implementation :)

>> http://www.khronos.org/registry/cl/sdk/1.0/docs/man/xhtml/clGetDeviceInfo.html
>
> I use the pattern get[Type]Info -> to get[Type][specificInfo] where
> specificInfo is the OpenCL name of an enumerate. I don't know if your
> proposal, I open a ticket on github to think about.

I see.  My experience with the OpenGL bindings is that it can still be
confusing for users of the library.  The reason is simple, there are
good docs for using the API from C and those docs tend to match the
official specification.  So people who are new to the Haskell bindings
will need some documentation that explains how to go from the C API to
the Haskell API.  Otherwise users will need to read the source code
directly to figure out where the function they need to call is
located.  Good haddocks help, but that's just one part of the
solution.  Being able to search for the function by name is also
useful, so that's why I proposed adding something on to the end of the
function name.  So that people using search in their browser on the
haddocks or using grep at the command line would find the function(s)
they are looking for and (hopefully) minimize time spent searching.

It's a shame because, if we had dependent types we could encode the C
API directly into Haskell.

Thanks and I'll probably look at it some more this weekend.  I have a
test program I'm working on but I would need to port it to your
bindings.

Also, if you use the #fun macro from c2hs to create the foreign
imports you will need to use at least version 0.16.4 as previous
versions do not honor stdcall.

Jason