[Haskell-cafe] Proposed change to mime-mail

Erik Hesselink hesselink at gmail.com
Wed Nov 23 20:39:42 CET 2011

Hi all,

I've found and solved a problem with mime-mail, and Michael Snoyman
asked me to send a request for feedback to -cafe, so here goes.

In short, the issue is with address headers containing 'special'
(non-ascii) characters. In mime-mail, these are automatically encoded
according to RFC 2047. However, the email address part of an address
header is not allowed to be encoded.

My patch adds 'from', 'to', 'cc' and 'bcc' fields to the Mail data
type, and creates correct headers from these fields. This does make
the Mail type a bit larger, so I've also added a smart constructor
with initializes these fields with empty lists (only 'from' is

For more details, see my initial bug report [1] and my patches in the
pull request [2].

If you have any comments on this change, please let me know.



[1] https://github.com/snoyberg/mime-mail/issues/5
[2] https://github.com/snoyberg/mime-mail/pull/6

More information about the Haskell-Cafe mailing list