[Haskell-cafe] Sub class and model expansion

Patrick Browne patrick.browne at dit.ie
Sat May 28 11:46:22 CEST 2011

Hi,
I'm not sure if this is possible but I am trying to use Haskell’s type
class to specify  *model expansion*. Model expansion allows the
specification of new symbols (known as enrichment) or the specification
further properties that should hold on old symbols. I am trying to
enrich simplified Monoids to Groups. The code below is not intended to
do anything other than to specify simplified Groups as a subclass of
Monoid. The main problem is that I cannot use ! on the LHS of equations
in Group.

Is it possible to expand the specification of Monoid to Group using
Haskell type classes?

Pat

data M = M deriving Show

-- Monoid with one operation (!) and identity e (no associativity)
class Monoid  a where
  (!)  ::  a -> a -> a
  e :: a
  a ! e = a

-- A  Group is a Monoid with an inverse, every Group is a Monoid
-- (a necessary condition in logic: Group implies Monoid)
-- The inverse property could be expressed as:
--      1) forAll a thereExists b such that a ! b = e
--      2)  (inv a) ! a  =  e
class Monoid a => Group a where
  inverse  ::  a -> a
-- Haskell does not like  ! on the LHS of equation for inverse in Group.
--  (inverse a) ! a  = e

This message has been scanned for content and viruses by the DIT Information Services E-Mail Scanning Service, and is believed to be clean. http://www.dit.ie