[Haskell-cafe] Erlang's module discussion

Alex Kropivny alex.kropivny at gmail.com
Sat May 28 11:12:42 CEST 2011

Regardless of how crazy it sounds, an idea from Joe Armstrong is worth
seriously thinking over.

This has bugged me before: think about how we design and write code as
project size, or programmer skill grows. You start with composing statements
inside a single function; later, you start to compose functions inside a
single file; later you move on to composing modules; subsystems; systems...

Different techniques, doing the same thing in different ways, depending on
the level of complexity. Surely there's some unified approach that can
replace them all?

Erlang has the advantage of functions being the basic, composeable building
block. Packages and modules are merely means to organize them, and mediocre
means at that, so a better system is definitely a possibility. Haskell has
the complication of having type definitions in addition to functions.