[Haskell-cafe] Erlang's module discussion

Dmitry Vyal akamaus at gmail.com
Sat May 28 10:09:59 CEST 2011

On 28.05.2011 07:10, Tom Murphy wrote:
> Hi All,
>       I sure love Hackage, but there's a very interesting discussion
> going on, on the Erlang mailing list, about completely restructuring
> the module-model.
>       Before you dismiss it as crazy, know that the topic was brought
> up by Joe Armstrong, one of the creators of the language.
>
> Here's the archive:
> http://erlang.org/pipermail/erlang-questions/2011-May/058769.html
>
>       Food for thought...
>
> Tom

Hi Tom,
sounds interesting! But seems to me this will raise current package
dependencies problems on a new level. Now one sees modules and packages
as some kind of aggregates, black boxes which supply useful
functionality and hide non relevant complexity and tight dependencies.

Moving to functions all the way down looks to me like a lowering level
of abstraction. The meta information about the overall program structure
would inevitably be lost.

Dmitry