[Haskell-cafe] lambdabot hoogle

Jacek Generowicz jacek.generowicz at cern.ch
Wed May 25 23:40:51 CEST 2011

On 2011 May 25, at 23:20, Brandon Moore wrote:

>> From: Jacek Generowicz Sent: May 25, 2011 2:45 PM
>>
>> I feel a bit guilty about spamming the list with all my stupid
>> problems: I would
>> prefer to find my own way around, but if I had to dive in and
>> rummage around the
>> source for every problem that I encounter, I would not get very far.
>
> I'm not particularly interested in lambdabot myself, but this seems
> like a reasonable
> conversation for this list, and the sort of thing that's nice to
> have recorded in the
> mailing list archives - and hopefully folded back into appropriate
> package descriptions
> and wiki pages.

I'm hoping to find some time at the end of this journey to gather
together what I have learned on the way, and to try to feed some of
the information back into relevant places. (Any pointers on how to do
this most productively would be welcome.) But my fear is that by the
time I am done, I will have used up all my Haskell time for this
quarter.

> I wonder a few quick greps for error messages in the source code
> might have turned
> up something useful without too much trouble,

I wonder myself too. From my point of complete ignorance about how the
packages are put together, and almost complete ignorance about cabal,
it's difficult to judge when (and for how long) it's worth digging in
with grep etc.: sometimes it will be a fruitful exercise, and
sometimes not. Sometimes someone else will understand my problem
faster than I can type "grep", and sometimes not.

So my tactic is to dig a little, then send out a cry for help, before
digging further.

> but from skimming messages it seems
> your efforts have been at least as much as can reasonably be
> expected for installing a
> cabal package without big giant disclaimers.

Thank you for your kind words. I hope that most others find my spam as
inoffensive as you do.