[Haskell-cafe] lambdabot hoogle

Brandon Moore brandon_m_moore at yahoo.com
Wed May 25 23:20:13 CEST 2011

> From: Jacek Generowicz Sent: May 25, 2011 2:45 PM

> On 2011 May 25, at 17:42, Gwern Branwen wrote:
>
>>  On Wed, May 25, 2011 at 11:08 AM, Jacek Generowicz
>>  <jacek.generowicz at cern.ch> wrote:
>>
>>>  I've already stumbled across mueval and hoogle as things that need
> to be
>>>  installed separately before the full advertized features of lambdabot
> work.
>>>
>>>  With this experience under my belt and the benefit of hindsight, I
> vaguely,
>>>  almost, kinda, maybe see how I could have guessed that the stubborn
> response
>>>  "A Hoogle error occurred." to any hoogle command in
> lambdabot, means that I
>>>  need to install hoogle locally:
>>>
>>>  'hoogle ...' --> "A Hoogle error occurred." ==>
> install hoogle.
>>>
>>>  But how on earth was I supposed to guess that in order to make
> 'check' work,
>>>  the package to install was 'mueval', given that the error
> message was
>>>  "Terminated"?
>>>
>>>  'check ...' --> "Terminated" ==> install
> mueval.
>>
>>  You weren't really meant to - lambdabot isn't exactly meant for
> anyone
>>  who won't look at the source when something goes wrong.
>
> Understood. Fair enough.
>
> I feel a bit guilty about spamming the list with all my stupid problems: I would
> prefer to find my own way around, but if I had to dive in and rummage around the
> source for every problem that I encounter, I would not get very far.

I'm not particularly interested in lambdabot myself, but this seems like a reasonable
conversation for this list, and the sort of thing that's nice to have recorded in the
mailing list archives - and hopefully folded back into appropriate package descriptions
and wiki pages.

I wonder a few quick greps for error messages in the source code might have turned
up something useful without too much trouble, but from skimming messages it seems
your efforts have been at least as much as can reasonably be expected for installing a
cabal package without big giant disclaimers.

Brandon