[Haskell-cafe] *GROUP HUG*

Yves Parès limestrael at gmail.com
Tue May 24 10:06:45 CEST 2011

> Why did you ask a question which you yourself characterize as "ignorant"?

Juan, I think it is the kind of question whose answer is obvious to people
with at least a little practice of the language.
For instance, one of my friends asked me once why the operation of
calculating the length of list has an O(n) complexity, since to his opinion,
you could just store the size inside the list and increment it when elements
are appended. Once you got the clue about lazy lists, the answer is obvious
[1], but to a Java-trained mind, it is right it can at first sight seem like
a lack of optimisation.

I'm curious Gregory, what was the question you asked and how were you
brushed off? And what are those troubles the Scala community is undergoing?
It would be a real shame if the Scala community wasn't up to its terrific
language...

[1] And if it is not, then to find it your homework shall be ;)