[Haskell-cafe] Haskell Weekly News: Issue 182
Daniel Santa Cruz
dstcruz at gmail.com
Thu May 19 04:31:27 CEST 2011
Welcome to issue 180 of the HWN, a newsletter covering developments in
the Haskell community. This release covers the week of May 8 to 14,
Eric Kow released the second edition of Parallel Haskell Digest
Don Stewart sent in a proposal from the Haskell.org committee to
incorporate Haskell.org [http://goo.gl/X1j8i].
Lazycat Manatee has released a new version of Manatee
Quotes of the Week
* Richard O'Keefe: [On iterators and generators] This being Haskell,
I'm expecting to see Cogenerator...
* luqui: Haskell is a DSL for writing monad tutorials.
* mattmight: Coq is a tool for turning ordinary programs into POPL
* kmc: most CS courses will teach you four kinds of Java
* geheimdienst: haskell makes hard things easy and easy things a
strong lax monoidal endofunctor ...
* spoolio: Haskell programmers know the cost of nothing, the type of
everything, and might know the value of a few things later.
* catamorphism: FP is related to FP in the same way that UML is
related to OOP.
* geheimdienst: * geheimdienst will from now on use a function
carpeTiem aliased to getCurrentTime
* edwardk: [on data-accessor] However, its choice of internal
representation makes me throw up in my mouth a little bit
Top Reddit Stories
* Fancy function graphs!
Domain: pnyf.inf.elte.hu, Score: 47, Comments: 21
On Reddit: http://goo.gl/ibZO1
* Online SVG figures with Haskell
Domain: self.haskell, Score: 46, Comments: 11
On Reddit: http://goo.gl/jgxk4
* Erlang-in-Haskell: an implementation of an Erlang-like
distributed computing framework for Haskell
Domain: hackage.haskell.org, Score: 41, Comments: 2
On Reddit: http://goo.gl/yMMRG
* Why Eager Languages Don't Have Products and Lazy Languages Don't Have Sums
Domain: james-iry.blogspot.com, Score: 38, Comments: 35
On Reddit: http://goo.gl/ngpNe
* Introducing JsonGrammar
Domain: martijn.van.steenbergen.nl, Score: 34, Comments: 2
On Reddit: http://goo.gl/wiGI9
* The reasons I don't write all my code in Haskell
Domain: codeflow.wordpress.com, Score: 33, Comments: 34
On Reddit: http://goo.gl/HMZ8c
Domain: article.gmane.org, Score: 30, Comments: 3
On Reddit: http://goo.gl/8zzZT
* Two fun bits of Haskell teaching news
Domain: serpentine.com.nyud.net, Score: 28, Comments: 3
On Reddit: http://goo.gl/JQUtF
* Themes on Streams
Domain: byorgey.wordpress.com, Score: 26, Comments: 1
On Reddit: http://goo.gl/ywP1K
* CmdArgs - Fighting the GHC Optimiser
Domain: neilmitchell.blogspot.com, Score: 20, Comments: 15
On Reddit: http://goo.gl/0WThF
Top StackOverflow Questions
* Safe execution of untrusted Haskell code
votes: 19, answers: 2
* When do I use ByteString and when do I not?
votes: 16, answers: 2
* Why can I not make String an instance of a typeclass?
votes: 14, answers: 3
* Android application in haskell
votes: 11, answers: 1
* What are the most important abstractions in Haskell? Monads? Applicatives?
votes: 9, answers: 3
About the Haskell Weekly News
To help create new editions of this newsletter, please send stories to
dstcruz at gmail.com.
Until next time,
Daniel Santa Cruz
More information about the Haskell-Cafe