[Haskell-cafe] ANNOUNCE: levmar-1.0

Bas van Dijk v.dijk.bas at gmail.com
Wed May 18 22:41:23 CEST 2011

Dear all,

I released levmar-1.0, an implementation of the Levenberg-Marquardt
minimization algorithm that can be used for least squares, curve
fitting and nonlinear programming.

The most important change in this release is the use of vectors and
matrices from the hmatrix package (which uses the high performance
vector package). An application at work became 25 times faster when
switching to the new levmar!

I'm not sure this major speedup can be entirely attributed to the
switch from lists to vectors. I also switched the FFI types from
CDouble to Double in the internal bindings-levmar package. This made
the expensive realToFrac conversions from CDouble to Double
unnecessary which I believe had a big impact.

API Documentation: http://hackage.haskell.org/package/levmar-1.0

I also switched the repository from darcs to git and hosted it on github:
https://github.com/basvandijk/levmar/

Regards,

Bas