[Haskell-cafe] Haskell Weekly News: Issue 181
Daniel Santa Cruz
dstcruz at gmail.com
Thu May 12 03:58:17 CEST 2011
Welcome to issue 181 of the HWN, a newsletter covering developments
in the Haskell community. This release covers the week of May 1 to
Last week I failed to note the announcement [http://goo.gl/ApClU]
of a new version of Leksah (0.10.0). If you haven't yet, give
Leksha a test run and send some feedback!
Ketil Malde started a thread [http://goo.gl/Prlu2] about Robert
Harper's thoughts on monads and laziness.
Hakim Cassimally extended an invitation [http://goo.gl/QIjcF] to
anyone living in the Northwest UK for Tuesday May 31st to Geekup's
first ever "Functional Programming Night".
Andy announced [http://goo.gl/uCEn1] a new release of Manatee
Quotes of the Week
* hpc: [SPOILER] You can check wikipedia for the definition of
fibonacci sequences if you get stuck after half an hour
* pmetzger: it is always possible to make an algorithm
slower. just give it to a CS freshman to code up.
* kmc: ghc -XMixfixOperators -XDependentTypes -XMakeMeASandwich
* pmetzger: I have my password tattooed to my forehead. that way
when I forget it others can tell me what it is.
* alexbagel: i find that my first 26 variables are always easy to
name. after that it becomes a bit harder.
* Eric Kow: Haskell is a good fit for me because I tend to
practise Doh!-oriented programming
Top Reddit Stories
* More points for lazy evaluation
Domain: augustss.blogspot.com, score: 56, comments: 24
On Reddit: http://goo.gl/qecQ1
* iterIO: iteratee-based IO with pipe operators, courtesy David
Domain: haskell.org, score: 43, comments: 15
On Reddit: http://goo.gl/YzPJn
* Monad comprehensions are finally in GHC
Domain: self.haskell, score: 37, comments: 32
On Reddit: http://goo.gl/1Rjnw
* Horner's Rule
Domain: patternsinfp.wordpress.com, score: 34,
On Reddit: http://goo.gl/A1wYo
* Patent 5,893,120 reduced to mathematical formulae (via Haskell)
Domain: paulspontifications.blogspot.com, score: 31, comments: 13
On Reddit: http://goo.gl/PmB4K
* Custom Haskell mug!
Domain: imgur.com, score: 31, comments: 6 On
* Differences between 'data' and 'newtype' ... in pictures
Domain: stackoverflow.com, score: 31, comments: 2
On Reddit: http://goo.gl/5YaSo
* Haskell: not pure enough?
Domain: blog.ezyang.com, score: 30, comments: 19
On Reddit: http://goo.gl/6v28x
* Galois is hiring computer scientists
Domain: corp.galois.com,score: 27, comments: 28
On Reddit: http://goo.gl/ToeJ0
* Fancy comparison of Data values
Domain: pnyf.inf.elte.hu, score: 26, comments: 18
On Reddit: http://goo.gl/BlFVl
Top StackOverflow Questions
* Ordering of parameters to make use of currying
votes: 43, answers: 3
Read on SO: http://goo.gl/7LnBJ
* Difference between 'data' and 'newtype' in Haskell
votes: 29, answers: 2
Read on SO: http://goo.gl/KQiJv
* Haskell: why the convention to name a helper function "go"?
votes: 24, answers: 3
Read on SO: http://goo.gl/CE1O7
* How do you design programs in Haskell or other functional
programming languages? [migrated]
votes: 24, answers: 0
Read on SO: http://goo.gl/IW7Z5
* Haskell Graphics Library that works in GHCi on MacOS X
votes: 19, answers: 3
Read on SO: http://goo.gl/VZGAK
About the Haskell Weekly News
To help create new editions of this newsletter, please send stories
to dstcruz at gmail.com.
Until next time, Daniel Santa Cruz
More information about the Haskell-Cafe