[Haskell-cafe] Haskell Weekly News: Issue 181

Daniel Santa Cruz dstcruz at gmail.com
Thu May 12 03:58:17 CEST 2011

   Welcome to issue 181 of the HWN, a newsletter covering developments
   in the Haskell community. This release covers the week of May 1 to
   7, 2011.

Announcements

   Last week I failed to note the announcement [http://goo.gl/ApClU]
   of a new version of Leksah (0.10.0). If you haven't yet, give
   Leksha a test run and send some feedback!

   Ketil Malde started a thread [http://goo.gl/Prlu2] about Robert
   Harper's thoughts on monads and laziness.

   Hakim Cassimally extended an invitation [http://goo.gl/QIjcF] to
   anyone living in the Northwest UK for Tuesday May 31st to Geekup's
   first ever "Functional Programming Night".

   Andy announced [http://goo.gl/uCEn1] a new release of Manatee
   (0.2.1).

Quotes of the Week

   * hpc: [SPOILER] You can check wikipedia for the definition of
     fibonacci sequences if you get stuck after half an hour

   * pmetzger: it is always possible to make an algorithm
     slower. just give it to a CS freshman to code up.

   * kmc: ghc -XMixfixOperators -XDependentTypes -XMakeMeASandwich

   * pmetzger: I have my password tattooed to my forehead. that way
     when I forget it others can tell me what it is.

   * alexbagel: i find that my first 26 variables are always easy to
     name. after that it becomes a bit harder.

   * Eric Kow: Haskell is a good fit for me because I tend to
     practise Doh!-oriented programming

Top Reddit Stories

   * More points for lazy evaluation
     Domain: augustss.blogspot.com, score: 56, comments: 24
     On Reddit: http://goo.gl/qecQ1
     Original: http://goo.gl/OnJXx

   * iterIO: iteratee-based IO with pipe operators, courtesy David
     Mazieres
     Domain: haskell.org, score: 43, comments: 15
     On Reddit: http://goo.gl/YzPJn
     Original: http://goo.gl/6WQAk

   * Monad comprehensions are finally in GHC
     Domain: self.haskell, score: 37, comments: 32
     On Reddit: http://goo.gl/1Rjnw

   * Horner's Rule
     Domain: patternsinfp.wordpress.com, score: 34,
     Comments: 2
     On Reddit: http://goo.gl/A1wYo
     Original: http://goo.gl/zeC1f

   * Patent 5,893,120 reduced to mathematical formulae (via Haskell)
     Domain: paulspontifications.blogspot.com, score: 31, comments: 13
     On Reddit: http://goo.gl/PmB4K
     Original: http://goo.gl/QknmV

   * Custom Haskell mug!
     Domain: imgur.com, score: 31, comments: 6 On
     Reddit: http://goo.gl/lD388
     Original: http://goo.gl/bzZR8

   * Differences between 'data' and 'newtype' ... in pictures
     Domain: stackoverflow.com, score: 31, comments: 2
     On Reddit: http://goo.gl/5YaSo
     Original: http://goo.gl/KQiJv

   * Haskell: not pure enough?
     Domain: blog.ezyang.com, score: 30, comments: 19
     On Reddit: http://goo.gl/6v28x
     Original: http://goo.gl/zsfSq

   * Galois is hiring computer scientists
     Domain: corp.galois.com,score: 27, comments: 28
     On Reddit: http://goo.gl/ToeJ0
     Original: http://goo.gl/osjJY

   * Fancy comparison of Data values
     Domain: pnyf.inf.elte.hu, score: 26, comments: 18
     On Reddit: http://goo.gl/BlFVl
     Original: http://goo.gl/RuMKT

Top StackOverflow Questions

   * Ordering of parameters to make use of currying
     votes: 43, answers: 3
     Read on SO: http://goo.gl/7LnBJ

   * Difference between 'data' and 'newtype' in Haskell
     votes: 29, answers: 2
     Read on SO: http://goo.gl/KQiJv

   * Haskell: why the convention to name a helper function "go"?
     votes: 24, answers: 3
     Read on SO: http://goo.gl/CE1O7

   * How do you design programs in Haskell or other functional
     programming languages? [migrated]
     votes: 24, answers: 0
     Read on SO: http://goo.gl/IW7Z5

   * Haskell Graphics Library that works in GHCi on MacOS X
     votes: 19, answers: 3
     Read on SO: http://goo.gl/VZGAK

About the Haskell Weekly News

   To help create new editions of this newsletter, please send stories
   to dstcruz at gmail.com.

   Until next time, Daniel Santa Cruz