[Haskell-cafe] Can't build Gtk2hs on Windows

Ryan Yates fryguybob at gmail.com
Thu May 5 15:17:01 CEST 2011

Daniel,

Nice summery.  I think one of the difficult issues is my "patch" in
http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/gtk2hs/ticket/1203 is something worthy
of scare quotes.  I'm not a Cabal developer and I have no clue what
the implications of that change are.  For all I know things would
cease working on Linux with the patch applied.  I think it is sane,
but to verify that would require me to know a lot more about Cabal's
workings then I have time to do.  Cabal-dev addresses this nicely in
that it isolates the unknowns.  The global workaround is bad because
it is even less isolated but has the benefit that you do not have to
patch the setups.

Another issue is that the gtk2hs Trac makes you login as guest.  As
such, I can't add myself to the CC list and this makes it is hard to
tell how many people are running into this issue.  Similarly the
gtk2hs website being down makes it look like gtk2hs is dead.  I know
that it is in all likelihood down due to the server switch
(http://www.haskell.org/pipermail/haskell-cafe/2011-February/088829.html).
 The Trac issue is probably due to an updated version of Trac changing
how CC field is set.

All of these little (very understandable) things compound the issue
and frustrate people.  It is a good sign that people are expecting
things to work and the issues in the way are small.  There are just
too few people with the means to fix those small issues, but I'm glad
they do the work they do.

I'm also sending this to the gtk2hs list to see if it can get some
traction there.

Ryan