[Haskell-cafe] Can't build Gtk2hs on Windows

Daniel Kahlenberg d.kahlenberg at googlemail.com
Thu May 5 10:25:56 CEST 2011

Hi,

I have no spaces in my GTK installation path (h:\gtk+ there is no
other gtk+, zlib1.dll etc. in my search path). The "patch"
http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/gtk2hs/ticket/1203 is easier handled
when using the cab/cabal-dev combination as I described here:
http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lang.haskell.cafe/88022, although
this is no long-term solution, I agree.

(I don't agree to let users require to install more or less arbitrary
packages globally as long as a separation of permissions is reasonable
for complex systems. Don't get me wrong: I would respect the advice if
I had other information but I'm even not convinced.)

The problem persists anyhow - with all backend gtk versions I tried -
that building certain packages depending on the bundled cairo package,
fail with a "unknown symbol `_cairo_image_surface_get_data'" error
message
The full description and bug tracing so far I described here:
http://groups.google.com/group/haskell-charts/msg/9c8e4420b517c4f7
(also here http://osdir.com/ml/glasgow-haskell-users@haskell.org/2011-04/msg00007.html).

All in all I even thought about replacing/augmenting the gtk+ calls in
e. g. timeplot code by wx calls or something like that to have a
chance to use these nice tools on windows too, to circumvent
regression on parallel installs of legacy ghc versions, have no idea
either ;) Maybe an API comparison table in the WIKI might help here.

GTK versions I sampled (all three with ghc-7.0.3, the first one also
with ghc-7.0.2), yielding overall the same results:

http://ftp.acc.umu.se/pub/GNOME/binaries/win32/gtk+/2.22/gtk+-bundle_2.22.1-20101227_win32

http://ftp.acc.umu.se/pub/gnome/binaries/win32/glade3/3.6/glade3-3.6.7-with-GTK+.exe

http://ftp.acc.umu.se/pub/gnome/binaries/win32/gtk+/2.24/ with the
bundled tools manually installed using the components.lst file from
the -2.22.1-* bundle as a reference.

The http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/gtk2hs/ticket/1209 issue is valid
for older gtk versions (until around 2.16) only and can be bypassed by
adding -f-have-gio, enabling the non-gio build at least.

I agree that it is possibly a windows only specific issue. Might even
relate to my mingw+msys setup, although I explicitly used the
mingw-get tool to install the whole build environment. Possibly the
patching hack (http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/gtk2hs/ticket/1203) is
an issue factor itself if it lead to incompatible situation.

Greets
Daniel