[Haskell-cafe] Installation of Haskell Platform on CentOS 5.5

Ketil Malde ketil at malde.org
Mon Mar 21 17:57:44 CET 2011

> (Note: I also installed GCC 4.4 (as mentioned by Mr Peterson) before I
> retried installing Cabal and the Haskell Platform , but I do not think that
> affected the build / compile process at all, since GHC and not GCC is used
> here. And GCC 4.4 is also installed next to 4.1 that presumably would be
> used by default (or am I wrong about this?))

I got gcc44 (RHEL package) installed, but the suggested (by ./configure
--help) "./configure CC=gcc44" doesn't seem to do anything, this seems
to be a documentation bug.

I made a link from ~/bin/gcc to the gcc44 binary, and that let the
configure script find it, at least.

Running 'make -j 8 install' crashed with an error, in order to make
sense of the output (which tends to be hard to read when running make
with parallelism), I reran, this time without -j.  But then it ran to
completion...

Although the install process still has room for improvement, especially
on archaic^Wconservative systems, I'm now the happy owner of a GHC 7.0.2
installation.

Now, time to install libraries...

-k

PS: I guess I should report the issues I encountered on trac, but
somehow the trac interface never made sense to me, and my searches
always seem to result in heaps of completely unrelated stuff.