[Haskell-cafe] Installation of Haskell Platform on CentOS 5.5

Sat Mar 19 02:28:42 CET 2011

collect2: ld terminated with signal 15 // PROBLEM SOLVED

*** HASKELL PLATFORM
Building
"/usr/haskell-platform-2010.2.0.0/bin/ghc" "--make" "Setup" "-o" "Setup"
"-package" "Cabal-1.8.0.6"
Linking Setup ...
collect2: ld terminated with signal 15 [Terminated]

Error:
Compiling the Setup script failed
make: *** [build.stamp] Error 2

*** CABAL
[1 of 1] Compiling Main             ( Setup.lhs, Setup.o )
Linking Setup ...
collect2: ld terminated with signal 15 [Terminated]
Error during cabal-install bootstrap:
Compiling the Setup script failed

UPDATE // collect2: ld problem solved : caused by lack of RAM
It seems like the problems described above was caused by the system running
out of memory. Initially I had only 512 MB of RAM on my server, but after an
upgrade to 2 GB RAM the installation went fine without any problems at all.
I realised this running "top" and seeing all the memory being consumed by
GHC.

I ran into a couple of new problems trying to install the Platform, so I
have not fully succeeded yet, but I am a lot closer...

(Note: I also installed GCC 4.4 (as mentioned by Mr Peterson) before I
retried installing Cabal and the Haskell Platform , but I do not think that
affected the build / compile process at all, since GHC and not GCC is used
here. And GCC 4.4 is also installed next to 4.1 that presumably would be
used by default (or am I wrong about this?))

[k]