[Haskell-cafe] Installation of Haskell Platform on CentOS 5.5

Kirk Peterson necrobious at gmail.com
Fri Mar 18 17:52:02 CET 2011

I have 7.0.2 building from source, using a binary version of GHC 6.12.3, and
the GCC 4.4 (gcc44 package from CentOS). GCC 4.1(gcc package) that ships
with CentOS 5.5. gave me the "relocation error" already detailed at the
bottom of http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/ghc/wiki/Building/Troubleshooting.

 It would be really neat to have CentOS supported out of the gate, rather
than having to install a bootstrapping ghc, to then compile latest ghc, to
finally compile latest haskell-platform. Does anyone know of a trusted
third-party repo that packages ghc or even better, the haskell-platform for
CentOS? I found (http://pkgs.org/centos-5-rhel-5/nogin-random-x86_64/) but I
know nothing about who is packaging them.

cheers,
-kirk

On Fri, Mar 18, 2011 at 7:40 AM, Tristan Ravitch <travitch at cs.wisc.edu>wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 18, 2011 at 08:23:10AM +0100, Ketil Malde wrote:
> > Tristan Ravitch <travitch at cs.wisc.edu> writes:
> >
> > > The ghc7 binaries are compiled against a newer version of glibc than
> > > is available on RHEL/CentOS.  It works fine if you compile ghc7 from
> > > source yourself (you can use 6.12 for that).
> >
> > Did it?  I tried to do that, but I got errors about needing -fPIC.  I
> > tried to mess with CFLAGS, but couldn't make it work out.  According to
> > somebody on #haskell (I apologize for forgetting whom), the problem was
> > really a too old GCC version.
> >

> Now that you mention it, I did have to switch to a newer gcc for the
> x86_64 build.  I ended up using 4.5.  That part is annoying;  I wasn't
> able to coax the default 4.1.2+patches into generating correct
> position-independent code either.

⑆gmail.com⑆necrobious⑈