[Haskell-cafe] Haskell IDE

David Virebayre dav.vire+haskell at gmail.com
Mon Mar 7 15:19:22 CET 2011

2011/3/3 JP Moresmau <jpmoresmau at gmail.com>:

> Hello, I'm one of the maintainers of EclipseFP. It is a real
> alternative: it works, it is maintained, supported and enhanced. I use
> it for my own projects, and of course I use it to work on the version
> of the scion library that ships with it, so we eat our own dogfood
> :-). A new minor version is going to come out in the next couple of
> weeks. Why don't you give it a try? We appreciate any feedback!

from  http://eclipsefp.sourceforge.net/eclipsefp2.html I understand that
building scion is automatically done, but can be optionally done it it's too
long.
but from http://eclipsefp.sourceforge.net/build.html I see that I do have to
build it. But :

git clone http://github.com/JPMoresmau/scion.git
Initialized empty Git repository in /data/code/scion/.git/
remote: Counting objects: 3563, done.
Receiving objects: 100% (3563/3563), 580.09 KiB | 395 KiB/s, done.

Resolving deltas: 100% (2137/2137), done.

david at pcdavid:~/code$ cd scion/

david at pcdavid:~/code/scion$ sudo cabal install
[sudo] password for david:
Resolving dependencies...
cabal: dependencies conflict: ghc-6.12.3 requires Cabal ==1.8.0.6 however
Cabal-1.8.0.6 was excluded because scion-0.1.0.8 requires Cabal ==1.6.*

I'm not sure what to do now. Trying to install eclipsefp without scion built
in case it works, but I'm not used to eclipse, I could use some screenshots
to take me step by step through the process. For example, My "project" menu
has open grayed, and file/import wants me to choose an import source (I
chose Existing project into workspace) but then do I copy projects into
workspace ( I did not )

I have eclipse already setup with android development (I have just a toy
project, I planned to learn about android programming), when I imported the
projects they appeared at the same place. Is there a way not to mix android
and haskell projects ? Do I create a new workspace, or assign working sets ?

Anyway the projects are in the workspace, and there's 123 warnings; but I
can't really tell if the build failed or not.
Selecting all the project, and right-click - refresh didn't seem to change
anything.

But it seems it worked, because step 7 does launch a new eclipse window, and
I can see haskell in the preferences. Except that I had an error message
regarding scion, and stupid me, clicked ok before I could remember what was
written.

I tried rebuild scion, but nothing seemed to happen. I closed the first
Eclipse window (the one that has all the eclipsefp projects in the package
explorer), but then the second one closed too. I lauched eclipse again, run
configurations, etc and this time it looks like scion is building (well
something happens in the Console tab)

While this is building, I'm wondering if there's a way to launch eclise
directly in the right "mode". Not having to go to run configurations, etc.

Ah, the build failed. Complains that HUnit is missing. So I cabal install
it, close my Eclipse window, run configurations again on the first Eclipse
window, and the build resumes.

.... And build success. Now to open a haskell source file and play with
Eclipse.

</feedback>

David.