[Haskell-cafe] Haskell Weekly News: Issue 187

Albert Y. C. Lai trebla at vex.net
Thu Jun 23 23:26:50 CEST 2011

Picky readers we are.

I don't mind URL length. And there are ways to have long URLs in-situ
without being a big disruption.

I hate the borrowed academic practice of saying [0] and giving the URL
two hundred lines later. It worked great on paper in hands because I
could stick my finger to the paper to remember where to return. It also
works great on real HTML documents because browsers have a "back" button
for the same. It completely fails in plain text email because I can't
stick a finger and I can't press the "back" button. Which one is the
bigger disruption: an in-situ long URL that makes me skip oh two lines
to continue with the main text? or the URL postponed by two hundred
lines so I have to first remember it is [1] not [0] this time, then
scroll down several pages to hunt for the URL, and then... I forget
where to return to?

If people want short URLs, I don't mind that either, but I'm picky on
how they are shortened. The shortener should offer the option of showing
me the original URL and waiting for me to go ahead or abort. As far as I
know this means tinyurl.com only.

Thank you for bearing with my rant.

[0] No URL for this.

[1] No URL for this either.