[Haskell-cafe] Best platform for development with GHC?

Niklas Larsson metaniklas at gmail.com
Wed Jun 15 01:28:28 CEST 2011

2011/6/15 Dmitri O.Kondratiev <dokondr at gmail.com>

> On Wed, Jun 15, 2011 at 2:34 AM, Henning Thielemann <lemming at henning-thielemann.de> wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, 15 Jun 2011, Dmitri O.Kondratiev wrote:
>>
>>> Which platform - Mac OS X, Linux or Win32 is best for development with GHC today?
>>> How are things with Ubuntu? It was quite a while already that I used Haskell on Linux. Today I have to code on Win32  and Mac OS
>>> X. Installing extra libraries caused most of the pains for me on Win32 - for example GTK and Gnuplot is not easy to install on
>>> Win32. Installing GTK on Max OSX is also a hard work, but no problems with Gnuplot at all. Haskell mode for Emacs works fine on
>>> Mac OS X, but only to some extent on Win32. I have not managed to start GHCi in Emacs buffer on Win32.
>>
>> Since I maintain the gnuplot binding for Haskell - what are the particular problems with that package on Windows?
>
> As I understand for Gnuplot to work on Win32  you need to compile its C source. Compared to Linux GCC, neither Cygwin nor Mingw are fun to use on Win32.

They have binary builds for Windows on the Gnuplot Sourceforge download page:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/gnuplot/files/gnuplot/4.4.3/

The gp443win32.zip contains everything you to run Gnuplot, just add
the 'binary' dir to your path.

Then you can do:
:m + Graphics.Gnuplot.Simple
plotFunc [] (linearScale 1000 (-10,10)) sin

in GHCI to test that it works.

Regards,
Niklas