[Haskell-cafe] [Haskell] ANNOUNCE: Parallel and Concurrent programming in Haskell, a tutorial

Henning Thielemann lemming at henning-thielemann.de
Mon Jun 13 16:23:02 CEST 2011

On Thu, 19 May 2011, Simon Marlow wrote:

> I've put together a tutorial on Parallel and Concurrent programming in
> Haskell, here:
>
>  http://community.haskell.org/~simonmar/par-tutorial.pdf
>
> The main reason for writing this was that I needed some lecture notes for a
> course at the CEFP summer school next month, but I hope the material is
> useful to the Haskell community in general.

Thank you a lot for this overview!

Concerning the parallelisation of K-means: It seems to be difficult to
choose a size for the pieces of points. Since the 'combine' function is
associative something map-reduce-like seems to be applicable. That is, if
there is a library function for a parallelised 'reduce' and I promise,
that I call it with an associative function as argument, then the library
could choose an appropriate size for the pieces. Is there already library
support for parallelism of this style?