[Haskell-cafe] SIGPLAN Programming Languages Software Award

Yves Parès limestrael at gmail.com
Thu Jun 9 10:02:22 CEST 2011

Were templates an original feature of C++ or did they appear in a revision
of the langage ?
Because C++ appeared in 1982 and Haskell in 1990.
But of course, the ML languages are older, so maybe Bjarne Stoustrup took
inspiration from them. (Anyway, functional features picked up in the
mainstream imperative languages usually end up being just details that
doesn't save much code typing and that are powerless when compared with the
original functional features).
I cannot help smiling when I hear Java/C#/Python developers telling about
the "wondeful features" of their languages ;)
(- We have generators! We can _yield_ values! [1]
 - Yeah, so nice... We have simple lists... with lazy evaluation)
(- We have type generics!
 - Sigh...)

Had once a microsoft representative that came to my school to hold a lecture
about C#/LINQ. Told us during fifteen minutes about their python-like
"yield" feature. Yay.... And to say some of my teachers were in awe [2].

[1] Amusing fact: this was me, a few years ago.
[2] Well, of course, with a Java background.