[Haskell-cafe] Subcategories on Hackage

Felipe Almeida Lessa felipe.lessa at gmail.com
Sun Jun 5 04:46:27 CEST 2011

On Sat, Jun 4, 2011 at 10:41 AM, Tillmann Vogt
<Tillmann.Vogt at rwth-aachen.de> wrote:
> Formal categories   already exist, just need some improvement

I don't see how the categories we have are near formal categories, but
I digress.

>  Stable entities         Haskell is a mathematical language, and if there is
> one thing that will never change then it is math

I also can't see this so clearly.  It is like saying that books are
just letters on paper, and nothing will change that.  What we need to
categorize is what is being done with Haskell, not Haskell itself.

>  Restricted entities  access only after personal email

We have the opposite, any one can upload a library to Hackage and I
don't think anyone wants to change that.

>  Clear edges             ?

See his example, where he says that there are no blended elements.  A
Haskell library may have characteristics from two or more different
categories.

>  Expert catalogers                               Maybe the best educated
> programmers in the world

We don't have any catalogers at all!  =(

>  Authoritative source of judgment   Maybe

We also don't have an authoritative source of judgement, but that is
something easier to change.

>  Coordinated users                             It could be better

There is almost no coordination at all.

>  Expert users                                        mostly

Yes, mostly, I agree =).

tl;dr: I don't think ontologies are suitable for Hackage.

Cheers!

--
Felipe.