[Haskell-cafe] Subcategories on Hackage

Vo Minh Thu noteed at gmail.com
Sat Jun 4 11:08:23 CEST 2011

2011/6/4 Tillmann Vogt <Tillmann.Vogt at rwth-aachen.de>:
> Hi,
>
> There are some categories on Hackage that have become so large that it is
> hard to find something, i.e. Data(414 packages) and Graphics (191). Thats
> why I suggest to use subcategories separated from the category with a dot.
> To show that this makes sense I made subcategories for graphics libraries at
> the end of this email.
> Whatever happens to hackage2 this would be an immediate improvement.
>
> How
> ------
> I would volunteer for the manual categorization and let the community look
> over it.
> I could upload the changes with a script but the version number has to
> increase even if only the category has changed. I also don't want to be
> responsible for a massive spike in the upload statistics.
> Shouldn't the cabal file be excluded from the versioning policy? => It is
> allowed to upload a library with the same version number if only the cabal
> file has changed. One should write a notifiaction mail to all owners to
> reply if they don't agree. Then after a week executing the script that
> applies the changes.
>
> [snip]

Hi,

I would simply prefer tags.

Actually, there is a problem that becomes even worse in your proposal:
packages appearing in multiple categories, and packages not appearing
in some expected category.

A simple example in your proposed categories: HDRUtils library: should
it be in 2d, RasterFormats, or maybe in 2dFormats, ... with tags, 2d,
raster, format, can be used, but also hdr, image, etc.

I don't remember what was proposed for hackage 2.

Cheers,
Thu